It’s not summer yet, but I noticed that the strawberries have started making their appearance in the British supermarkets. I love these berries and could eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner when they’re at their best. If you love strawberries, this delicious cake is a must-try, it is a great dessert for spring and summer! This is as simple and light strawberry cake, flavoured with vanilla and yogurt, and jam-packed with fresh strawberries baked into the batter. And the recipe couldn’t get any easier, it comes together fast and you just need one bowl to whip it up; pop it in the oven for 50 minutes and you’ve got a berrylicious winning dessert to enjoy!
- 1/2 cup Strawberries (chopped)
- 1 cup Strawberries (halved)
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 cup Caster sugar
- 1/2 cup Vegetable oil
- 1 cup Plain yogurt
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 cups Plain flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- Icing sugar
- Step 1 Butter a cake tin and line with parchment paper.
- Step 2 Preheat the oven to 190 C.
- Step 3 In a large mixing bowl, crack in two eggs and add in caster sugar. Whisk till the sugar has dissolved the mixture turns light and pale.
- Step 4 Pour in oil, yogurt, and vanilla extract and whisk until well combined.
- Step 5 Add in plain flour, salt and baking powder. Using a spatula or a wooden spoon fold the mixture until everything is well incorporated.
- Step 6 Pour half of the batter into the prepared cake tin. Top with chopped strawberries, and pour in the remaining batter. Smoothen the surface and top with halved strawberries. Press them in gently into the batter.
- Step 7 Bake at 190 C for 45-50 mins or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Step 8 Let the cake cool down for 15 minutes before serving. Dust with icing sugar and serve with whipped cream, strawberry sauce or vanilla ice cream.