- 1 litre Whole milk
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Rose water
- 3 cups Water
- A pinch of Cardamom powder
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- Boil milk in a heavy bottomed pan.When it comes to boil, simmer and add lemon juice stirring continuously.
- Now add in lemon juice and mix gently, the milk will start to curdle at this point. Heat until the whey completely separates and turn off the flame.
- Line a strainer with muslin cloth. Pour the curdled milk through it and wash it under cold water to get rid of the vinegar/lemon juice taste.
- Gently twist and squeeze out all the water from the Paneer. Hang Paneer/chenna for 20- 30 minutes until the water stops dripping, this step is important. Remove Paneer from cloth, it should feel crumbly but moist.
- Now knead this for 7-10 minutes gently till you get a soft and smooth dough. The more you knead, the more softer your Rasgullas will be.
- Divide the dough into equal portions and make smooth balls, ensure that there are no cracks.
- Add sugar, cardamom powder, rose water and water to a deep and wide pan, and bring this to boil. Once it starts boiling, drop the balls gently into the hot sugar syrup.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for about 10 minutes on high heat. Stir the mixture every 3 minutes to make sure it is cooked evenly. The Rasgullas double in size when its done.
- Let it cool down completely and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.