A few days ago I picked up some passion fruit from my trip to the grocery store. I thought I could do something interesting with them, I came across a couple of recipes but in the end my inquisitiveness won out with the recipe for passion fruit curd. As always I’ve altered the recipe to my taste, which I hope you guys will like. A couple of eggs, some sugar, butter and the luscious pulp is all you need to make this sweet delicacy.
3/4 cup Caster sugar
3/4 cup Passion fruit pulp
125g Chilled unsalted butter (chopped)
1 large Egg
2 Egg yolks
- Heat a medium sauce pan over low heat.
- Melt the butter and then stir in the sugar, eggs and passion fruit pulp.
- Cook until the mixture thickens (this should take about 10-12 minutes), stir constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Off the heat, let it cool for a while and spoon it into a sterilized jar (make sure there is no water in the jar because this will spoil the curd).
- The curd can be stored in the fridge for 3 to 4 weeks.
Serve it with some warm scones, waffles, toast or use as a topping for cupcakes, or even as a filling for macaroons.