I recently discovered a bread recipe that is scrumptious and nutritious; also high in protein and fiber. A stunning Nordic bread that has lasted since the Stone Age. It is gluten-free, dairy-free and perfect for those following a paleo or keto diet. This bread inspired its creation in Denmark as an alternative for rye bread.
This is a magical bread, that actually consists of nothing bready, it doesn’t have flour or yeast, which means there’s no kneading required and you don’t have to wait for the dough to rise. Something that can be put together in just 10 minutes and baked. Goes great with any spread that is slathered on it’s beautiful speckled slices; and it’s very filling, so you will need only a slice or two to fill you up.
Nordic Nut & Seed Bread
- 100 g Almonds
- 100 g Pumpkin seeds
- 100 g Linseeds/ Flaxseeds
- 100 g Sunflower seeds
- 50 g Walnuts
- 50 g White sesame seeds
- 50 g Poppy seeds
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 5 large Eggs
- 50 g Coconut oil/ Avocado oil
- Preheat the oven to 160 C. Grease and line a loaf tin with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add all the nuts and seeds along with salt and sugar, give it a mix. Crack in the eggs and then pour in the oil. Mix thoroughly until everything is well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf tin. Bake for 1 hour on the bottom tray of your oven. Once done, let the bread cool completely. To serve, cut into thin slices and serve with butter, jam, cheese or even with avocado and smoked salmon.
- This bread can be stored in an air tight container for up to 5-6 days or you can slice it up, freeze it in a zip lock bag and take it out as and when you fancy a slice.
- Try adding dried berries, dates or figs to sweeten the bread as an alternative for sugar. Also try adding ground spices like cinnamon to give it that extra kick during holiday season. And if you like, switch up the nuts to your favourite ones.
- For a vegan option, just avoid the eggs and add water instead. But make sure you add linseeds/ flaxseeds to bind everything together.