I Scream You Scream, We All Scream for Ice Cream..or Gelato! 🙂
I simply can’t tell you how much I love gelato! And once you have experienced it, I’m pretty sure you’ll feel the same cuz it’s that heavenly!
- 2 cups Whole milk
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 4 Egg yolks
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- ½ cup Sugar
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 3 cups Mixed berries
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the cream, milk, and ½ cup of sugar over medium/low heat. Slowly cook until the sugar dissolves, which should take about 5 minutes. Stir constantly so that a skin doesn’t form on the sides.
- In a medium sized bowl whip the egg yolks together with the ¼ cup remaining sugar, until the egg yolks become pale yellow and thick.
- Pour the egg/sugar mixture into the cream/milk mixture which is still in the saucepan.
- Continue to cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 7 to 10 minutes (do not boil).
- Then add the vanilla extract into the mixture.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a clean glass bowl. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator at least for 4 hours.
- Combine the mixed berries and lemon juice in a food processor and puree.
- Pour it into a fine sieve and press down to extract the liquid.
- Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
- Once both the mixtures have been refrigerated, gently whisk the mixed berry puree into the milk & cream mixture.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer to a container/ glass bowl and freeze for at least two hours before serving.
Enjoy and make sure to lick the spoon clean!