A pie that will definitely become a family favourite once you make it. This recipe has heartwarming flavours and looks stunning once taken out of the oven. It’s a recipe I put together to finish up the filo pastry I had left in the refrigerator, along with some pantry staples; it turned out delicious and has for sure become one of my favourite pies.
Curried Potato and Chickpea Filo Pie
- 500 g Boiled potatoes (diced)
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 400 g tin Chickpeas
- 1 tsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/ 2 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Curry powder
- 1 + 1/2 tsp Black onion seeds (Kalonji)
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp Tomato puree
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 50 g Butter (melted)
- 200 g Filo pastry
- Step 1 Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, after 10 seconds add in onions and sauté for few minutes. Add ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala, curry powder, 1 tsp black onion seeds and tomato puree and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Step 2 Mix in the boiled potatoes and chickpeas with its liquid. Season with salt. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the mixture has soaked in all the liquid. Mix in the chopped coriander leaves and remove from heat.
- Step 3 Preheat oven to 200 C. Grease a round cake tin with butter.
- Step 4 Take a sheet of filo pastry and brush with melted butter. Line the cake tin with 5 of these filo sheets brushed with butter. Place the potato and chickpea filling in, top with scrunched filo sheets brushing butter on each as you go. Sprinkle remaining black onion seeds on top and bake for 30-35 minutes until the pastry turns a light golden brown.