Calling all coffee and cake lovers! This is a super delicious coffee cake, spiced with cardamom and generously topped with coffee infused buttercream. The ideal cake for a lazy afternoon with friends and family.
Coffee Cardamom & Walnut Cake
- 2 3/4 cup Plain flour
- 1 1/2 cup Caster sugar
- 1 tsp Ground cardamom
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 cup Vegetable oil
- 1 cup Buttermilk/ Whole milk (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup Boiling water
- 3-4 tsp Instant coffee/ Espresso powder
- For the Coffee Buttercream
- 2 1/2 cups Icing sugar
- 3/4 cup Unsalted butter
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp Instant coffee/ Espresso powder
- 2 tbsp Boiling water
- Walnuts for decorating
- Step 1 Add instant coffee to 3/4 cup of boiling water. Stir and set it aside to cool.
- Step 2 Preheat the oven to 180 C. Grease a 9-inch cake tin and line with parchment paper. You can also use two 8-inch cake tins to make this cake, if you want layers.
- Step 3 Add flour, sugar, ground cardamom, baking soda, baking powder and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix it together.
- Step 4 Add in the wet ingredients. Turn on the stand mixer and mix until everything has combined well.
- Step 5 Pour the batter into the prepared baking tin. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick/ skewer inserted into the cake, comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the baking tin for 15 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Step 6 Meanwhile, to prepare the buttercream, dissolve instant coffee with boiling water. Set it aside to cool.
- Step 7 Add butter into the bowl of a stand mixer. Cream the butter until light and fluffy.
- Step 8 Pour in the coffee and add in half of the icing sugar and beat well. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and in the remaining half, beat until light and it’s got a spreading consistency.
- Step 9 Frost the cake as you wish. You can use a spatula and spread the buttercream and decorate with walnuts or if you want to pipe some designs on then, transfer the buttercream into a piping bag and decorate.