Bitter gourd or Bitter melon, also known as ‘Karela’ in Hindi or ‘Pavakka‘ in Malayalam, is a vegetable that has numerous health benefits like helping overcome Type 2 diabetes, aiding weight loss, curing respiratory disorders etc. Most people avoid these melons because of its bitterness. However, this recipe is a well balanced combination of spicy, tangy, slightly bitter and sweet flavours. A recipe even bitter gourd haters will end up wanting more once they get a taste of it.
Bitter gourd Curry
- 2 Bitter gourd (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1 Red onion (sliced)
- 1 inch Ginger
- 1-2 Green chillies
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Tamarind pulp
- 1/4 cup Grated coconut
- 1 tbsp Coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp Jaggery/ brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 3 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Chilli powder
- For tempering
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 Dry red chilli
- 2 tsp Coconut oil
- Step 1 Soak tamarind pulp in half cup of luke warm water.
- Step 2 Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Add in grated coconut and saute for a minute on low heat. Add in the 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp coriander powder and chilli powder, saute till it turns golden brown. Take it off the heat and let it cool.
- Step 3 Grind this mixture to a fine a paste. Add sufficient water to get the right consistency.
- Step 4 In a large pan, heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil. Add in sliced onions, ginger and curry leaves, saute till the onions turn translucent, about two minutes. Turn the heat down to medium and add in the chopped bitter gourd, saute for a few minutes.
- Step 5 Add in the remaining spice powders and stir for 30 seconds. Now, add the chopped tomatoes and saute on low flame till the tomatoes are well cooked.
- Step 6 Pour in the ground coconut paste along with 1 cup of water. Pour in tamarind water as well. Mix well and add salt to taste. Let it come to a boil and add jaggery. Simmer for 8 minutes.
- Step 7 Heat oil in a small pan. Add in mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add in dry red chilli and coconut flakes, mix well for 20 seconds on low flame. Add this to the curry, mix well, close the lid and keep it aside for 10 minutes before serving.