For the cake
- 1 1/4 cups Plain flour/ Cake flour
- 1 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Oil (vegetable, canola or extra light olive oil)
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk (or 1/2 cup milk + 1/2 tsp lemon juice- mix and set aside for 5 minutes before using)
- Preheat oven to 175*C.
- In a medium bowl, add cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk all the ingredients together, and set aside.
- In an another bowl, add eggs and beat for 10-20 seconds, then add sugar and continue to beat on medium speed for about 30 seconds. Add vanilla extract and oil, beat.
- Slowly add about half of the flour mixture and half of the milk, and beat. Then add the rest of the flour and the rest of the milk, beat until just combined.
- Pour batter into a muffin pan prepared with paper liners. Fill liners about 2/3 full.
- Bake cupcakes in pre-heated oven for 15-17 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from pan (carefully) and finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Feel free to use this recipe for a cake as well. The recipe above will work for a 6″ cake. Double the recipe for an 8″ or 9″ cake.
For the Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
3 cups Powdered Sugar
1/3 cup Butter
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla essence
2 tbsp Milk
- In medium bowl, mix powdered sugar and butter with spoon or electric mixer on low speed. Stir in vanilla and 1 tablespoon of the milk.
- Gradually beat in just enough remaining milk to make frosting smooth and spreadable. If frosting becomes too thin, beat in a small amount of powdered sugar.