Thakkali Curry is a dish regularly made by my Mom, it’s a recipe passed down from my Grandmother. Almost everyone in my family loves it, and it’s the perfect dish to make when you’re too lazy to prepare anything complicated. A simple and yummylicious recipe that you must give a try! 🙂
- 5 Tomato (sliced)
- 1 Onion (sliced)
- 1 cup Grated Coconut
- 4 Green chillies
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp Chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups Water + 1/4 cup (to grind)
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp Cumin seeds
- 3 broken Dry Red Chillies
- 2 springs Curry leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp Oil
- In a large skillet, cook the tomatoes and onions along with 3 cups of water until they are tender (about 10-15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, grind grated coconut, green chillies, turmeric powder, chilli powder and cumin seeds to a fine paste, adding ¼ cup of water (add more water if necessary).
- Then add this paste to the cooked tomatoes and onions. Gently mix it and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Now for the tempering, heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter, then add the broken red chillies and curry leaves and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Pour this over the tomato curry and gently mix.
This curry goes well with hot steamed rice and pappadam.