Steak and Guinness Pie
July 28, 2015
: 10 min
: 3 hr 15 min
: 3 hr 25 min
- 750g Stewing Beef steak (cubed)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 large carrot (cut into chunks)
- 1 stick Celery (cut into chunks)
- 200 g Mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 2tbsp Plain flour
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 440ml Guinness
- 200ml Water
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg yolk (beaten)
- 3 tbsps Vegetable oil
- 170g Ready made Puff Pastry
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 180 degree C. In a large oven proof pan, heat 3 tbsps of oil on low heat.
- Step 2 Add onions and fry for about 8 minutes, making sure it’s not browned too much.
- Step 3 Now add in the carrots, celery, mushrooms, bay leaves and thyme. Saute it before adding in the beef, salt and pepper.
- Step 4 Stir fry for 5 minutes, then pour in the Guinness. Add the plain flour and add 200ml water or beef stock.
- Step 5 Bring to simmer, cover it with a lid and place the dish in the preheated oven for 1 1/2 hrs.
- Step 6 Remove the pan from the oven and give it a good stir and put it back in the oven for another hour or until the beef is tender and stew is rich. Take it out and place it aside.
- Step 7 Now to make the pastry lid, sprinkle a clean surface with plain flour and roll out the ready made pastry out evenly.
- Step 8 Transfer the stew into a pie dish and remove the bay leaves.
- Step 9 Place the rolled pastry over the pie dish and criss-cross it gently with a knife.
- Step 10 Brush the top of the pastry with beaten egg.
- Step 11 Place the pie on the bottom rack of the oven and bake for 45mins, until the pastry has turned golden brown.
- Step 12 Lip smacking Steak and Guinness Pie is ready to serve!