Spinach Dal is a simple and delicious vegetarian side made with Toor dal and spinach. It’s a great way to get the greens into your diet and an easy pressure cooker recipe. Try this recipe with Chapati, Paratha or Rice, and you have a nutritionally complete meal.
SPINACH AND DAL CURRY
- 2 1/2 cups Spinach (chopped)
- 3/4 cup cup Toor Dal/ Lentils
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 2 Tomatoes (chopped)
- 4 Green chillies (slit)
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups Water
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Step 1 Wash the Toor dal well, so it’s not too sticky when cooked. And soak it in water for 15 minutes.
- Step 2 Cook the dal, spinach, green chillies and garlic in the pressure cooker with 2 cups of water and turmeric powder for about 3 whistles or 10 minutes on low flame.
- Step 3 Heat oil in a deep pan, splutter mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Step 4 Add in the chopped onions and curry leaves, saute till the onions turn translucent.
- Step 5 Add in chopped tomatoes and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Step 6 Open the pressure cooker, pour in the spinach and dal mixture into the pan. Season with salt and mix well.
- Step 7 Let the curry come to a boil. Turn off the flame and serve hot.