Spinach Dal is a simple and delicious vegetarian side made with Toor dal and spinach. It’s a great way to get the greens into your tummy, and an easy pressure cooker recipe. Try this recipe with Chapatis, Parathas or Rice and you have a nutritionally complete meal.
- 2 1/2 cups Spinach (chopped)
- 3/4 cup cup Toor Dal
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 2 Tomatoes (chopped)
- 4 Green chillies (slit)
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups Water
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Wash the Toor dal well, so it’s not too sticky when cooked. And soak it in water for 15 minutes.
- Cook the dal, spinach, green chillies and garlic in the pressure cooker with 2 cups of water and turmeric powder for about 3 whistles or 10 minutes (on low flame).
- Heat oil in a deep pan, splutter mustard seeds.
- Add in the chopped onions and curry leaves, saute till the onions turn light brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Open the pressure cooker, and pour in the spinach and dal mixture into the pan. Adjust the salt, and mix well.
- Let the mixture come to a boil. Turn off the flame and serve hot with chapathi or rice.