A kebab so good, that it melts in your mouth as soon as you take a bite. A great appetiser and celebratory dish that can be made with any meat – mutton, beef or chicken.
Shami Kebab/ Spiced Meat Patties
- 500 g Minced Mutton/ Beef
- 1/2 cup Split Bengal Gram/ Channa Dal
- 1 Onion
- 8 Garlic cloves
- 2 inch Ginger
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1/4 cup Mint leaves
- 1/4 cup Coriander leaves
- 2 Eggs
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tsp Ghee
- Vegetable Oil
- Whole spices to toast and grind
- 2 Dry red chillies
- 1 tsp Black peppercorns
- 7 Cloves
- 2 Black Cardamom
- 3/4 tsp Caraway seeds/ Shahi jeera
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- Step 1 Wash and soak the channa dal in water for 1-2 hours.
- Step 2 Heat ghee in a pan and ad roast the whole spices on low flame for 2 minutes. Grind these to fine powder.
- Step 3 Using a chopper or food processor, grind the onion, garlic, green chillies, coriander and mint leaves to a fine mixture.
- Step 4 Heat a deep pan, pour in a tablespoon of oil, add in channa dal, minced meat, salt and turmeric powder. Saute for 2 minutes and pour in a glass of water, mix well. Cover with a lid and cook until the water has evaporated and the meat is cooked through. Keep it aside to cool.
- Step 5 Grind the meat and channa to a fine mixture. Transfer this to a bowl, crack in an egg, add the ground spice mix and the ground onion and herb mixture. Combine verything well.
- Step 6 Shape them into patties. Make sure there are no cracks. If the mixture is too dry, add another egg.
- Step 7 Shallow fry the patties until golden on each side. Use a fork or a spoon to flip them over. Serve with mint chutney or ketchup.