This Roasted Tomato Soup has all the goodness in one bowl. It’s full of nutritious flavour, it’s rich, hearty and perfect served alongside crunchy croutons or even with some garlic bread. The best dish to keep you warm this Fall. 🙂
- 6 large Tomatoes (quartered)
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 6 Garlic pods
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- Salt & freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- 1 tsp Butter
- 1 1/2 tbsps Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup (or 2 tsp sugar)
- 5 cups Chicken/ Vegetable broth
- preheat the oven to 200 c.
- Place the tomatoes, chopped onions and garlic pods on baking tray and drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Ensure that the garlic and onions don’t get burnt.
- When it’s perfectly roasted, take it out of the oven and let it cool. Add the tomatoes, onions, garlic, chicken broth, paprika and oregano into a large pot, and using an immersion blender, blend everything well. If you don’t have and immersion blender, then do the same using a normal blender and pour the mixture into the pot.
- Add the maple syrup and simmer the soup for 10 minutes. Adjust the seasoning according to your taste.
- Now add in the milk, simmer for another 5 minutes making sure it doesn’t come to boil.
- Turn off the hob and serve this delicious soup with home made croutons. Enjoy!
For the Croutons
- 4 cups bread (cubed)
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Salted butter
- 1/4 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- In a small sauce pan, combine olive oil, salted butter, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Place over medium heat until the butter is melted.
- Stir to combine the mixture and set it aside to let the flavours infuse.
- Place the cubed bread in a large bowl. Drizzle the seasoned olive oil and butter mixture over the bread cubes and gently toss it until they have an even coating.
- Spread the bread cubes onto a baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes on 180 C until golden brown.