A very wholesome, healthy recipe which can be made in a jiffy and can be eaten for breakfast, brunch or dinner as it makes a complete meal by itself.
- 1 cup Rava (also known as Semolina or Sooji)
- ½ tsp Urad dal
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 Carrots (chopped)
- 2 Green chillies (sliced)
- 1″ piece Ginger (minced)
- ¼ tsp Mustard seeds
- A few curry leaves
- 2 tsp Ghee
- 1 3/4 cups Water
- Salt to taste
Method for spiced sardines
- Dry roast the rava in a pan until it turns a light brown in colour. Transfer to a bowl when done and set aside to cool.
- Heat ghee in the same pan and add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add urad dal and curry leaves, when the dal turns light brown, add in chopped onions, carrots, green chillies and ginger. Saute for about 4-5 minutes.
- Pour in water and salt to taste, cover and bring it to boil.
- Turn down the heat to the lowest setting and add in roasted rava, stirring continuously to avoid any lumps. Cover the pan and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove and serve hot with chutney, sambar, pickle, pappadum or it tastes great with a little bit of sugar as well.