Delicious, festive and gorgeous looking bread rolls that will be perfect to serve with stews or soups to keep you cosy and warm this fall! These pumpkin bread rolls will be a perfect addition for Thanksgiving dinner or even for breakfast, just slather them with butter, maple syrup, cheese or honey because they go well with both savoury and sweet dishes.
Pumpkin Bread Rolls
- 2 1/2 cups Plain flour/ Bread flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 7 g Dry yeast
- 1/2 cup Milk powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1 1/2 tbsp Honey
- 1 Egg
- 80 ml Water (lukewarm)
- 30 g Unsalted butter (melted)
- Egg wash (1 Egg beaten + 1 tbsp Milk)
- 2 tbsp Unsalted butter (melted)
- Sliced Pecans (for the stems)
- Step 1 In a large bowl, combine yeast, honey and warm water and leave it for 5 minutes allowing them to foam up. Add in the pumpkin puree and egg, mix well.
- Step 2 Add in salt, milk powder, cinnamon powder and gradually add in the flour and mix with a wooden spoon until well combined. The dough will be sticky.
- Step 3 Transfer the dough to a clean working surface dusted with a little flour. Knead with hand for a minute. Form into a ball and place it in a greased bowl and coat the dough with some oil. Cover the bowl tightly with a cling film and leave the dough to rise until double its size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Step 4 Place the risen dough on floured working surface and knead for a minute. Shape it into a log and cut it into 4 equal pieces, then cut each piece into 2 equal smaller pieces. Roll and shape each piece into a ball.
- Step 5 Take a ball and tie it loosely with a kitchen string to get 8 parts. Tie the string at the top and cut off any excess. Place it on a baking tray lined with baking sheet. Make sure not to tie the string too tightly as the dough will expand a lot as it rises during the second proofing and in the oven while baking it. Repeat with the rest of the balls. Place the shaped buns well spaced apart on the prepared trays. Cover loosely with oiled clingfilm and set aside to rise for 30 minutes.
- Step 6 Preheat the oven at 180˚C. Brush the rolls with egg wash and bake the buns for about 20 minutes until golden. Take it out of the oven and immediately brush with some melted butter. Then, leave them to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Step 7 Once cooled, carefully remove the strings and place a sliced pecan into the centre of each bread roll to make the stalk. Best served on the day they are baked. You can store them in an air tight container for use within two days.