Prawn Roast is a famous Keralan dish flavoured with kokum and other spices. It is a spicy dry dish that goes really well with a bowl of steaming rice or chapati.
- 250 g Prawns
- 2 Onion (finely sliced)
- 1 Tomato (chopped)
- 2 Green chillies (slit)
- 1 inch Ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp Garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves
- 1 Gambooge
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil
- Soak gambooge in 1/4 cup water.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin, ginger and garlic; saute for half a minute.
- Add sliced onions and curry leaves. When the onion turns light golden brown in colour add chopped tomato and green chillies and cook for 5 minutes.
- Mix in kashmiri chilli powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder and saute for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle some water or add some more oil if the masala is too dry.
- Add prawns and gambooge water, and mix well. Cook for another 5-6 min and serve hot with rice.
Notes: If you don’t have gambooge, substitute it with lemon juice.