These delectable rice cookies are super easy to prepare, light, crumbly and have the best melt in your mouth texture. They have a delicate fragrance and flavour of rose water, perfect to have with a cup of tea. Try them to experience the traditional snack of Persia.
Persian Rice Cookies/ Nan-E Berenji
- 2 Cups Rice flour
- 300 g Icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp Poppy seeds
- 4 tbsp Rose water
- 1/4 cup Softened butter/ Vegetable oil
- 1 Egg
- Step 1 In a bowl, whisk together icing sugar and softened butter until smooth. Whisk in egg and rose water.
- Step 2 Sift in cardamom powder and rice flour (1/2 cup at a time). Fold flour into the mixture and knead the dough for 5 minutes.
- Step 3 Wrap it with cling film and leave it in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
- Step 4 When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 180 C. Take small handfuls of the dough and roll into 1 inch balls, then press slightly to flatten ball. Lightly score the top of the cookies using the edge of the spoon to make arch shaped indentations.
- Step 5 Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the cookies on the baking sheets and sprinkle with poppy seed. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the edges turn light golden.
- Step 6 Remove from the oven and let them cool completely before moving, store them in an air tight container.