PARIPPU PRADHAMAN/ PARIPPU PAYASAM
- 1 cup Split mung beans
- 2 cups Jaggery
- 1/2 cup Thin coconut milk
- 21/4 cups Thick coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp Dry ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground cardamom
- Pinch of salt
- 10-15 Cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp Raisins
- 2-3 tbsp Coconut bits
- Pinch of black sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- Dry roast mung beans in a pan for a few minutes. Transfer this to a pressure cooker, add 2 cups of water and pressure cook for one whistle.
- Add jaggery and 1 cup of water into a pan and boil till the jaggery melts, stirring regularly.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan. On low heat, fry the cashew nuts until they turn golden, coconut bits until they’re light golden brown, and then the raisins till they puff up. Keep them aside.
- Now add in the cooked mung beans, strain the jaggery syrup through a sieve into the pan. Mix gently and let it simmer for a few minutes on medium heat.
- Pour in the thin coconut milk. Let it come to a boil and then simmer for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in a pinch of salt, dry ginger powder and cardamom powder. Pour in thick coconut milk, mix well and switch off the flame.
- Finally, garnish with fried cashew nuts, raisins and coconut bits. Serve it hot or cold.