A very easy and simple orange cake, that takes just minutes to whip up to get into the oven. It is loaded with citrus flavour by using one whole organic orange, yes, one entire orange with the peel and everything. And it’s topped with candied peel and a lovely glaze made with orange juice, sugar and butter– making the cake even more flavourful. A delicious and lightly sweetened cake that’s great for tea time or even for brunch.
- 2 cups Self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup Granulated sugar
- 1 large Organic orange
- 3 Eggs
- 85 ml Vegetable oil/ Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Candied peel (optional)
FOR THE GLAZE
- 2 tbsp Orange juice
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2 tsp Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170 °C. Grease a loaf tin with butter/ oil and dust with flour.
- Wash and clean the orange. Cut it into large chunks. Using a blender, blend together sugar, orange, eggs and vegetable oil.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl, pour in the blended mixture. Using a spatula, combine everything together without over mixing.
- Place the batter into the prepared tin and decorate with candied peel (optional). Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- For the glaze: Melt butter, sugar and orange in the microwave for a minute and mix well. Spoon and brush the glaze over the top of the cake once it’s out of the oven, and allow it to cool completely before cutting.