The best part of making mulled wine is that the aroma of simmering spices and wine that will fill your home with winter cheer. It is so simple to make and is the perfect drink to serve up this festive season, and doesn’t require costly wine to be enjoyable. I personally favour a Chianti in my mulled wine, but any good Italian wine would do.
- 1 (750ml) Bottle red wine
- 1/4 cup Rum
- 1 Orange
- 1 Lemon
- 1″ piece of Ginger
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 5 Cloves
- 3 Cardamom pods
- 1 Star anise
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg powder/ grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, ginger, orange peels and slices, lemon peels and slices, bay leaf, nutmeg and the remaining spices. Pour in a little bit of the red wine, just until it covers the sugar and give it a good mix.
- Warm the beverage over low heat, and make a syrup out of the mixture. This will take about 5-10 minutes.
- Add in the remainder of the red wine and 1/4 cup of Rum, simmer the mixture and make sure not to boil it and allow the flavours to come together for about 5 minutes.
- Strain into a glass. Serve with a lemon slice, star anise or cinnamon stick. Have a happy Christmas! 🙂