- 1 1/2 cups Idli rice
- 1 cups Grated Coconut
- 1/4 cup Cooked rice
- 1 tsp Dry yeast
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- Water as required
- 1 tbsp Raisins (for garnishing)
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp Ghee
- Wash and soak the rice in water for 4-6 hrs and drain it.
- In 1/4 cup lukewarm water, mix together yeast and 1/2 tsp sugar and keep it aside for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile put the soaked rice with enough water and grind it to a smooth paste and transfer it to a large bowl. Now grind the grated coconut, 1 tbsp sugar, cooked rice and salt with enough water to a smooth paste. Make sure that the batter is not too watery. It should be lightly thinner than an idli batter.
- Combine this to the ground rice batter. Once the yeast is foamy, add it to the batter. Give it a good mix. Cover let it ferment for 7-8 hours.
- After the batter has fermented and risen, add 1/4 tsp cardamom powder and the remaining 2 tbsp sugar to the batter. Mix well.
- Switch on the pot/ idli maker for steaming. Smear ghee/oil on the idli moulds and pour the batter into it each of the them. Garnish with raisins.
- Steam for 12-15 minutes on medium flame. Let it cool for 10 minutes and transfer to a serving dish.