These delicious Austrian Christmas cookies are filled with all the nutty and buttery goodness, sandwiched between sweet and sticky strawberry preserve that peeks out through the decorative cutout in the top half. Just the perfect pretty little beauties you would want to bake during the holiday season.
- 2 cups Plain flour
- 1 1/4 cup Almond flour
- 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/4 cup Powdered sugar
- 240 g Unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 Egg
- 1 Egg yolk
- 1 1/4 tsp Almond extract
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 5-6 tbsp Raspberry preserve/ Strawberry preserve
- 3 tbsp Powdered sugar (for dusting)
- Step 1 In a medium bowl, whisk together plain flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Step 2 In a large bowl, using a whisk or an electric mixer beat and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Then add in the extracts, egg and egg yolk. Beat until well combined.
- Step 3 Add in the almond flour and mix until just combined. Then add in the dry ingredients that was set aside and mix till combined.
- Step 4 Flour your hands and divide the dough in half, shape into disks, wrap securely in parchment paper, and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.
- Step 5 Preheat oven to 180° and line baking trays with parchment.
- Step 6 On a lightly floured surface, roll out one half of the dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Using a cookie cutter cut out the dough and place on prepared baking sheet, spacing them 1 inch apart. Bake for 10 minutes, remove and allow it to cool on baking tray.
- Step 7 Roll out the remaining half dough. Use a smaller, fluted star cutter to cut windows in half the cookies for the top, repeat rolling and cutting any dough and scraps and chill the cookie tops for 10 minutes. If you don’t have cookie cutter, use a knife to cut out the shape. Place them on the prepared baking sheets and bake for 8-9 minutes. Allow these to cool on the tray as well.
- Step 8 Dust the cookies with powdered sugar. Spread each cookie bottom with half a teaspoon of raspberry preserve or strawberry preserve and top with cut out star cookie tops. Store in an air tight container between layers of parchment paper at room temperature for up to 5 days. Or you can freeze them in an air tight container for up to a month.