- 1 cup Rice powder
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds (crushed)
- 4tbsp Grated coconut
- 1.5 – 2 cup Boiling Water (add salt to taste to the water)
- 1 tbsp Oil (optional)
- Combine rice powder and grated coconut and mix well.
- In a heavy bottomed pan dry roast this rice powder, stirring continuously until golden brown. Allow it to cool slightly.
- Add salt to boiling water; make sure it’s really hot. Now add the roasted rice flour and cumin seeds.
- Cover it with a lid and switch off the flame. Let it stand for 2 minutes.
- Add oil and using spoon mix well. Using your hands, knead the dough and make tiny balls with the dough.
- Steam these in a steamer for 15 minutes, or till it is done. Keep it aside for later to add into the curry.
Ingredients for Chicken curry
- 500-700 gms Chicken
- 1tsp Ginger chopped
- 4 cloves of Garlic
- 2 springs Curry leaves
- 1 Green chilli (chopped)
- 2 Medium sized onions
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp Corriander powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- Crushed Spices: 2 Cardamom , 1 Star anise , 3 cloves & 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 1/4 cup Thin Coconut milk
- ½ cup thick Coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add ginger, garlic, green chillies, onion and 2 sprigs of curry leaves.
- Saute for 5-6 minutes, until it turns golden brown.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and mix well.
- Combine coriander masala, turmeric powder, Kashmiri chilli powder and a little bit of water to make a paste. Add this to pan and sauté till the oil separates. Make sure the flame is on medium low.
- Add the chicken pieces, 1 1/4 cup of thin coconut milk and salt to taste.
- Close the lid and cook till the chicken is tender and the gravy has a good consistency.
- Now, add the crushed spices and the steamed dumplings, and mix gently.
- Add 1/2 cup thick coconut milk and cook covered for another 5 minutes, open the lid and simmer for few minutes more.
Remove from the stove and serve warm