Buttery, gooey melt-in-your-mouth cookies filled with red velvet flavour and adorned with snowy powdered sugar, one of the best festive treats to to get you in the holiday spirit.
Gooey Red Velvet Butter Cookies
- 2 1/4 cup Plain flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa powder
- 225 g Cream cheese
- 55 g Unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 3/4 cup Granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp Red liquid food colouring
- 3/4 cup Icing/ powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 Egg
- Step 1 In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt to combine.
- Step 2 Using an electric mixer, beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add in red food colouring, vanilla extract, granulated sugar and egg. Mix until creamy and well combined.
- Step 3 Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and mix until the dough comes together. Cover with cling film and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Step 4 Preheat the oven to 165 º C. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place icing sugar in a small bowl and set it aside.
- Step 5 Roll the dough into 1 inch balls between the palm of your hands (measuring to about 1 tablespoon each). Roll it in icing sugar to lightly coat. Place it on the prepared baking sheets at least 2-3 inches apart. Bake in preheated oven for 12-14 minutes until the edges of the cookies are set. The centre of the cookies are supposed to chewy and soft so make sure not to over bake.
- Step 6 Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack and let cool completely before serving. You can store them in an air container for up to 3 days.