Fresh figs are something I can literally never resist when I see them at the store. They look so beautiful and rustic, has such a unique flavour, sweet but not too sweet, has a soft and gooey texture, almost like eating a chewy cookie. Is that a fair description?
Anyhow, this is a gorgeous and simple cake adorned with the gem of all fruits- Figs! Perfect cake to make if you love having something sweet for breakfast or you can even enjoy it with a good cuppa in the evening.
- 1 1/2 cup Plain flour
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 pinch Cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp Almond flakes
- 1 tbsp Light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Honey (optional)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 225 ml Buttermilk
- 1 Egg
- 30 g Butter (melted)
- 2-3 Fresh figs
- Icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 190 C. In a bowl, mix together plain flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cardamom powder.
- In another bowl, whisk together sugar, egg, honey, vanilla extract and buttermilk. Combine the wet and dry ingredients using a spatula or a wooden spoon.
- Grease a small cake loaf tin with butter. Pour the batter into it.
- Slice the fresh figs and place them on top, sprinkle almond flakes and brown sugar.
- Place it in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before dusting with icing sugar. Serve with a good cuppa and enjoy! 🙂