For the Chocolate Cake
- 175 g Self-raising flour
- 50 g Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 300 g Caster sugar
- 100 g Soft butter
- 3 large Eggs
- 50 ml Milk
For the frosting
- 1½ cups Butter (softened)
- 1 cup Unsweetened cocoa
- 5 cups Confectioner’s sugar
- ½ cup Milk
- 2 tsps Vanilla extract
- ½ tsp Espresso powder
For the topping
- 1 Straw
- 50g Milk chocolate
- 2 packs of Cadbury chocolate fingers
- 2 large bags of Maltesers
- 1 standard packet of Maltesers
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line two 8″cake/ sandwich tins with greaseproof paper.
- Measure the cocoa into a bowl, add the boiling water and mix until smooth.
- Then add in the flour, baking powder, caster sugar, eggs, milk and butter. Beat well with an electric whisk or by hand for 2 minutes until the mixture is smooth.
- Divide the mix equally between the 2 cake tins and place on the middle rack of the oven for 22-25 minutes or until well risen.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool. Once the cakes are completely cool.
To prepare the chocolate frosting
- Add cocoa to a large bowl or bowl of stand mixer. Whisk through to remove any lumps.
- Cream together butter and cocoa powder until well-combined.
- Add sugar and milk to cocoa mixture by adding 1 cup of sugar followed by about a tablespoon of milk. After each addition has been combined, turn mixer onto a high speed for about a minute. Repeat until all sugar and milk have been added.
- Add vanilla extract and espresso powder and combine well.
- If frosting appears too dry, add more milk, a tablespoon at a time until it reaches the right consistency. If it appears too wet and does not hold its form, add more confectioner’s sugar, a tablespoon at a time until it reaches the right consistency.
For the topping/ decoration
- Sandwich the cake layers with frosting and cover the entire cake with the chocolate frosting as well.
- Dip the top end of your straw into your melted chocolate. Insert the straw into the centre of the cake. Melt the milk chocolate in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Starting at the back, stick Cadbury fingers to the outside of your cake (the frosting will help it stick to the cake).
- Then, stick on the Maltesers all the way around the edge, going into the middle.
- Then, using melted chocolate as a glue, start to stick Maltesers around the base of the straw and all the way up to the bag.
- Using the melted chocolate, stick your empty small Malteser bag onto the top end of the straw. And there you have it, a gravity defying Maltesers cake! 🙂