Sweet and sour Date Chutney is a must have dip or stir-in mix for many Indian snacks, especially in making chaats like Bhel Puri, Pani Puri, Samosa etc. The dates compliments the sour taste of tamarind, and I have also added jaggery to increase the sweetness to counter balance the sourness of the tamarind. I just can’t think of the lip smacking street foods you get in India without this particular condiment. It’s got a perfect balance of spicy, tangy and sour flavours. An absolute must have condiment in your kitchen!
- 15-20 Dates (pitted)
- 1 cup Tamarind pulp
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1/2 cup Jaggery (grated)/ Demerara Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tsp Dry ginger powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- Wash and stone dates and chop roughly. Dry roast cumin seeds and fennel seeds. Cool slightly and grind to a powder.
- Mix together dates, jaggery, tamarind pulp, cumin and fennel powder, red chilli powder, dry ginger powder,salt to taste and one cup of water.
- Cook on medium heat till it comes to a boil, reduce heat and continue to cook for six to eight minutes.
- Cool and serve.