This fried chicken recipe is a popular South Indian appetiser that has its origins rooted in Chennai. It was created by Chef A.M Buhari in the year 1965, it is said that the dish was named after the year it was created. Another account claims it was the 65th dish on the menu. I can assure you about one thing though, this is one of the tastiest chicken appetisers. It’s a lip smacking Indian nosh bursting with spicy and tangy flavours to serve up for your next Indian themed party!
- 850g Boneless chicken (cut into bite size pieces)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- For marination
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 2 tbsp Corn starch
- 1 tsp Rice flour (optional)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 tsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- For tempering
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 4 cloves Garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp Ginger (finely chopped)
- 2 sprig Curry leaves
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- Pinch of red food colour (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Red chilli sauce
- 3-4 tbsp Vegetable oil
- Step 1 In a large bowl combine the boneless chicken pieces with ingredients listed for marination. Mix well, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Step 2 Heat enough oil in a pan to deep fry the chicken pieces. To make sure the temperature is right, drop a small bit of the marinade into the oil, once it floats while sizzling, you can start frying the chicken pieces in batches. Gently drop in the marinated chicken pieces without overlapping and fry on a medium flame until golden brown, turning every once in a while making sure the meat has cooked through. Drain onto paper towel as you fry the next batch.
- Step 3 Heat 3-4 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan, add mustard and cumin seeds, let it splutter. Add garlic, ginger and curry leaves. Toss for 10-15 seconds.
- Step 4 Turn down the heat and add kashmiri chilli powder, food colour, salt and red chilli sauce. Saute for 10 seconds. Pour in 2 tablespoon of water if its too dry.
- Step 5 Turn the heat back up and add in the fried chicken pieces, stir well for 2 minutes. Garnish with lemon wedges and raw sliced red onions. Tasty Chicken 65 is ready to serve!