Carrot Halwa otherwise known as Gajar ka Halwa is a classic Indian dessert made with grated carrots and milk. It’s so popular that you’ll find it being served in any Indian restaurant. It’s one of my absolute favourites, it is a desert you can indulge in along with the goodness of the carrots.
- 2 cups Carrot (Grated)
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 5-6 Pistachio (Chopped)
- ¼ tsp Green cardamom (powdered/ crushed)
- ½ cup Evaporated milk/ Khoya
- 3 tbsp Ghee/ unsalted butter
- 2 cups Milk
- Step 1 Heat 3tbsp of ghee in a heavy-bottomed pan on medium heat.
- Step 2 Add grated carrots and sauté for 6-7 minutes.
- Step 3 Add milk, green cardamom and cook on medium heat for 7-8 minutes. Keep stirring to make sure the mixture doesn’t get stuck to the pan.
- Step 4 Once the carrots are cooked, stir in the evaporated milk/ khoya and sugar, and cook for another 2-3minutes until the sugar melts and has mixed in well with carrot mixture. Continue stirring for 2 more minutes and transfer the halwa to a serving dish.
- Step 5 Garnish with chopped pistachios. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Step 6 This dish can be kept in the fridge for about 5 days.