Carrot Halwa otherwise known as Gajar ka Halwa is a classic Indian dessert made with grated carrots and milk. It’s so popular that you’ll find it being served in any Indian restaurant. It’s one of my absolute favorites, it is a desert you can indulge in along with the goodness of the carrots.
- 2 cups Carrot (Grated)
- 5-6 Pistachio (Chopped)
- ¼ tsp Green cardamom (powdered/ crushed)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup Evaporated milk/ Khoya
- 2 cups Milk
- 3 tbsp Ghee/ unsalted butter
- Heat 3tbsp of ghee in a heavy-bottomed pan on medium heat.
- Add grated carrots and sauté for 6-7 minutes.
- Add milk, green cardamom and cook on medium heat for 5-6 minutes. Keep stirring to make sure the mixture doesn’t get stuck to the pan.
- Once the carrots are cooked, stir in the evaporated milk/ khoya and sugar, and cook for another 2-3minutes until the sugar melts and has mixed in well with carrot mixture. Continue stirring and for 2 more minutes and transfer the halwa to a serving dish.
- Garnish with chopped pistachios.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
This dish can be kept in the fridge for about 5 days.