Keep yourself warm this fall with this slow-cooked beef, full of flavour and spices for a winning family meal.
Braised Coconut and Chilli Beef
- 600 g Beef (diced)
- 3 medium Potatoes (cut into chunks)
- 1 large White onion
- 1 inch Ginger (minced)
- 1 Tomato (chopped)
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Paprika/ Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp Meat masala/ Curry powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp Tomato puree
- 400 g can Coconut Milk
- Oil for frying
- Step 1 Mix all the spice powders in a large bowl. Add the beef, season with salt and toss until all the pieces are well coated.
- Step 2 Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a large heavy-based pan, and brown the beef all over in batches, adding more oil if necessary. Transfer the beef to a plate and set it aside.
- Step 3 In the same pan, heat oil and saute onions till they start to brown.
- Step 4 Add ginger, chopped tomatoes, dried thyme and cinnamon, saute for a two minutes then add in the beef.
- Step 5 Pour in coconut milk and enough water to just cover the meat. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat to low, partially cover with a lid and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Open the lid, add in potato chunks and cook for another 30-40 mins until the meat is tender. Serve hot with bread or rice.