There are many variations of Dum Aloo in different states of India like “Punjabi Dum Aloo” and “Kashmiri Dum Aloo”, the one I have made is the Bengali version called“Bengali Niramish Alur Dom”,and you will surely enjoy it. A very simple and delicious recipe made with baby potatoes, yogurt and spices.
Bengali Niramish Alur Dom/ Spiced Baby Potatoes
- 8-10 Baby potatoes
- 1/4 Cup Green peas (blanched)
- 3 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 2 Cardamom pods
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 Dried red chillies
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 3/4 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Dried mango powder or 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 1/4 tsp Black salt
- 1 tsp Dried fenugreek leaves/ Kasthuri methi
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Ginger and Green chilli paste
- 1 1/4th cup Water
- 1/4 th cup Yogurt (beaten)
- 1 tbsp Tomato ketchup
- 3 tbsp Mustard oil
- 1 tsp Ghee (clarified butter)
- Step 1 Boil the potatoes in a deep pan with enough water to cover the them along with a teaspoon of salt. Boil for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Drain the water and peel them. Toss the potatoes in a bowl with a teaspoon of salt.
- Step 2 Make a paste with coriander powder, cumin powder, dried mango powder, garam masala and black salt along with 1-2 tablespoon of water.
- Step 3 Heat mustard oil in a pan and temper cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaves and dry red chillies, saute for 2 minutes. Add hing and stir for 10 seconds, then add in ginger and garlic paste and saute for 2 minutes.
- Step 4 Lower the heat and add turmeric powder and kashmiri chilli powder, saute for a minute. Stir in the spice paste and saute till the raw smell is no more.
- Step 5 Pour in the beaten yogurt, stir continuously so as to not let yogurt split. Cook this for 3-4 minutes.
- Step 6 Now toss in the salted boiled potatoes. Coat it well with spice mixture and add tomato ketchup. Saute for a few minutes. Pour in water, cover and cook till the sauce becomes thick (this should take 10-15 minutes).
- Step 7 Open the lid, add green peas, sprinkle some kasthuri methi and pour in a teaspoon of ghee. Mix well and saute for 2 minutes before taking it off the heat. Serve hot with rotis, phulkas or chapatti.