- 2 large Aubergines
- 1 Onion
- 400g Plum tomatoes
- 1 clove Garlic
- 100g Buffalo Mozzarella
- 50g Parmesan
- A bunch of Basil leaves
- Put two tablespoons of the olive oil into a medium saucepan over a low heat. When hot, add the onion and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes, until soft and translucent but not coloured.
- Add the tomatoes and break them up gently with a wooden spoon, then simmer for 25-30 minutes to create a thick sauce. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cut the aubergines lengthwise (roughly 5mm slices) and sprinkle with a little salt. Leave for about 10 minutes to release the excess moisture. Pat dry with kitchen paper or a tea towel.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large frying-pan and fry the aubergine until lightly coloured.
- Preheat the oven to 190C, spoon a third of the tomato sauce into the dish. Add a single layer of cooked aubergine, slightly overlapping slices. Follow with a layer of sliced mozzarella and a handful of basil leaves.
- Repeat the process, finishing with a layer of Aubergine and Parmesan and cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until the top is turning golden brown, and the mix is bubbling underneath.